Friday, September 5, 2014

Building Relationships with extended Family


After we had a brother-in-law die in our family, I've been thinking a lot about the importance of extended family relationships.  We've really been able to help that family after the tragedy because of the close relationship we had with them before it happened.  It's always a pain to go see my parents who live six hours away, but I do it as much as I can, because it's important for my kids to develop that relationship.  It gives them a more solid base of love from which to draw from.  It helps their self-esteem and makes them more stable.

When I was young, my mother had a rocky relationship with her in-laws.  But I never knew it.  She just quietly kept taking us to see them even though it was hard for her.  As a result, I have the happiest memories of the love of my grandparents.  Even if it's hard, it's important to make the sacrifice to build those relationships.  It will bless your family forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment