1. Give away all things that you haven't used in 1 year. Exception: Something expensive that you know you'll need again such as a laminator or an interview suit.
2. Give away most books and CD's/Videos. You can get almost all books at the library through inter-library loan. You can also get things through kindle. You can get videos and music online as well.
3. Put all stuffed animals in a stuffed animal hammock or something to keep them corralled (get rid of ones that your kids don't care about).
4. Put all toys in sets. Throw/give away things that don't fit in the sets.
5. Only keep 2 weeks worth of clothes. Most people will wash clothes again before two weeks is up.
6. Toss/shred all paper documents over 7 years old. When you get your mail, immediately recycle what you don't need. Don't let it touch your counter or you will start to have piles.
7. Use reason. I promise you really don't need 35 dish towels (that's how many I found in my drawer when I started to de-junk! Ha ha!) Only keep what you need, like maybe four.
8. Get rid of baby toys if you don't have a baby.
9. Make sure everything has a home, or get rid of it. Make each room/cupboard as bare as you can...only keeping essentials. Get rid of things you can borrow from others when you need to every once in awhile.
10. Use a rake to clean toys out from under beds. Saves lots of time and your back. Use a broom and dustpan to pick up all the last odds and ends. The broom and dustpan are also a GREAT way to pick up piles of legos!
Hope these tips help! Don't stress about de-junking. Just do a little bit each week and you'll find your house easier to keep clean in no time!