Here are some tips for making the most of your family vacations, big or small:
- Choose and plan where to go together as a family
- Build up the excitement by reading and searching on the web things about your destination and sharing them with the family.
- Pack, but don't stress. Give the kids a checklist to pack themselves and then check their bags over. This will increase their involvement, excitement and responsibility. There is usually a store where you can pick up things you forgot.
- While you travel, read the history to the kids of the places you visit. This increases enjoyment.
- When you get there, decide together what things are important to you. You could let each child pick one thing. Ownership also increases enjoyment.
- Take LOTS of pictures! And even videos! (After a recent death in the family, I am really committed to doing this!)
- After you get home, spend time talking about what you loved, and maybe make a scrapbook for the kids to look at again and again. This will increase appreciation, and also bring back those special feelings every time they look at the memories.